Tuesday, 9 April 2013

Creative stories - Charlotte

Better late that never on this post! First up is my partner in crime, Charlotte of Charlotte's Web / Little Red Creative. We are very similar in the way we work and she is absolutely fantastic at what she does. I'm very jealous she has 3 pets to distract her, although she did buy me flat cat for Christmas!

I like to make different mouths to put on him and send Charlotte photos - maybe that will become a series soon!

Tell us about yourself as a creative
I work in communications so spend 8 hours of my day reading, writing and tweeting. I work alongside some really great brands and so get some real enjoyment out of what I do – but I wouldn’t really say it’s the most creative area of my life. Creatively I write daily, whether on my personal blog or elsewhere. I sing a lot, read endlessly, watch and re-watch films and TV shows, doodle on everything and stare at pretty pictures for hours on end. Art and creativity are a huge part of my life, and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Describe your creative journey
I’ve read book after book for as long as I can remember. I used to write short stories, I was in love with my school English class, and I used to force my  cousin into having drawing competitions with me, which my Dad would then judge (I always won – there’s a chance I fixed the vote).
At school I always knew I wanted to be a writer, it’s all I’ve ever wanted to do (aside from a brief flirtation with the music and film industry) and so it has always been my passion. I studied Journalism and Arts Management at university – where I also worked in an arty cocktail bar that encouraged individuality - and have gone on to work in roles that allow me to be creative. My next move is to build up on Little Red, which I’m very excited about.
If I wasn’t so into the writing process I’d want to work in independent cinema. There’s something beautiful and haunting about the kind of movies that aren’t made by huge companies.

Where do you get your inspiration from?
I draw on inspiration from a lot of different things. My friends, my relationships, books and films and even TV programmes. I also really love moody photo filters, I think good photography is a huge inspiration.  

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
I’d like to be living in London, either working full time as part of Little Red, at a magazine or in something book or film related. I don’t want to have any babies yet. That’s in the 10 year plan (maybe)

Share a little bit about your space
I do my best work from my sofa. If the TV’s on and my tea is hot I’m happy.  

What’s your favourite thing about your space?
I feel most inspired when I’m relaxed, so it’s nice to be in my own surroundings. I also love having the kettle nearby, lots of cushions and blankets to hand and 3 pets that I can coo at when my mind starts to wander.

What’s one thing you think every creative needs in their space?
A kettle

If you’d think you’d be a good fit for the series, shoot me an email at nicola@littleredcreativestudio.co.uk.

4 comments:

  1. Haha, PLEASE start a flat cat with different mouths series, that would make my life x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE CHARLOTTE! This is such a nice idea for a series of posts - I will continue to read despite lacking any creativity myself! Glad I've found your blog though, you're added to my bloglovin reading list :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just seen your cakes - Thats creative in my eyes! I wish I could bake like that, I definately know how to eat them tho! xx

      Delete
  3. Such cute photos!! Loving scrolling through this blog, keep it up! xx

    ReplyDelete