Monday, 25 March 2013

Useful Resources – The Sensible Girl’s Guide to Emigrating Elegantly


Sally Corner, The Sensible Girl’s Guide to Emigrating Elegantly (London: A & C Black, 2010)

On a whim I decided to purchase The Sensible Girl’s Guide to Emigrating Elegantly on the Kindle. I just wanted something easygoing and lighthearted to get me hyped up about moving abroad. My boyfriend did laugh at me when I told him the title, but I secretly think hes just jealous there isn't a "The Gentleman's guide to emigrating like a boss" version.

The book is unique in its approach to emigration, focusing on the ‘fun and feminine’ aspects in addition to the decidedly less so. As the title suggests it’s written for females, and covers key emigration issues such as what to do if your friends react badly to your leaving, what to do with your last few hours in the UK and the all important - settling into your new country. Of course there is all the practical information about visas, how to tie up loose ends before you go and what to take with you, but the extra advice about the emotional side of moving abroad is honest and refreshing.

It is set out in a chronological style, taking the reader all the way from choosing a country, to coping with homesickness. Quizzes and check lists are interspersed by the author’s own real-life emigration story. It covers all the little aspects that you might not think of otherwise, but that really make a difference to the emigration process. Regardless of where in the world you’re moving to, I recon this book will prove indispensable at every stage of the journey.

I fear my flat is going to become overrun with checklists soon.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds so good I want to read it.. and I'm not even going anywhere

    what does the book say about your mates putting you under house arrest so you can't go anywhere? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I havent got to that section yet but there is a bit about throwing me an awesome leaving do

      xx

      Delete