Saturday, 23 March 2013

Oh Canada


So, after three years of  deliberating, two subtle hints to my parents, one click of a button and a couple of forms later I finally received my Letter of Introduction to Canada.

I’ve convinced my boyfriend to come along for the ride, or rather he convinced me, and our one year Working Holiday Visa are now waiting for us when we arrive on the other side of the pond in little under 7 months.

The first thing I felt after submitting my details to International Experience Canada was relief (from breaking out of the ‘will-I-won’t-I’ debate that’s been going on in my head for over a year and the fact they sold out in 4 hours) followed almost immediately by a combination of fear, concern and uncertainty, epitomised by the ever-foreboding ‘What if?’.  What if I can’t find anywhere to live? What if I come back to the UK and the recession has got worse? What if I cant find as good a job? What if I get eaten by a polar bear? (Not my fear - a friends)

My what-ifs started to meander down a different route. What if there was a way I could keep my friends and family up to date with how it’s going, both in the UK and in my new city? What if I could offer hints, tips and advice based on my experiences over the next year and a half? What if I could have the opportunity to progress my career in web design and possibly be my own boss?

It turns out that some what-ifs are easier to answer than others (particularly in the age of the Internet), and with this Design and Maple was born.

I hope you find this blog interesting, informative, and dare I say inspiring, whilst I find out the answers to the rest.

Canada here we come!

10 comments:

  1. Whose fear was the polar bear? That's hilarious. My biggest fear is you'll try to swim down the side of niagara falls, i know what you're like x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our friend Jay, the illustrator guy. Its all he keeps talking to me about when I mention Canada. xx

      Delete
  2. Hi! Found your blog thanks to Charlotte above there ^^^^

    I applied for my visa too, just waiting for my Letter of Introduction now! I'm was debating it for a very long time as well but me and my friend decided to take the plunge and just do it. Which city are you planning on going to first?

    Vanessa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey!

      I was so impatient waiting!! We submitted out applications 6th March, I received my LOI Thursday eve, Andy is still waiting on his but im sure he'll be fine ha!

      First initial plans are to head to Toronto as we have family there and then to Vancouver :) xx

      Delete
    2. Awesome! I submitted my stage 2 documents on Tuesday so I think I still have a while to wait yet but I'm getting anxious now!

      I think we're heading to Toronto first as well and then just going with the flow after that! Good luck on your adventures! I can't wait to read all about it :)

      xx

      Delete
    3. When are you thinking of heading out there?

      Delete
    4. We're aiming for June time but it all depends on money, getting everything sorted and working out our notices at work. But I'm hopeful for June. *fingers crossed* What about you?

      Delete
    5. We're aiming for October but planning a holiday in USA before entering Canada xx

      Delete
  3. Welcome to Canada!
    How exciting for you guys. :) I really hope that you'll enjoy Toronto, it's a great city! So, so much to do. And so much to discover, I've yet to do all the touristy things, and I live there!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you!! :)
      I can't wait! We fell in love when we visited family for 5 days last year xx

      Delete